First up, journalist Krystyna Henke brings us an interview with British climate change communicator George Marshall. He is the author of Don’t Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired To Ignore Climate Change. In it, he examines the psychology of climate change denial and offers a way forward to deal effectively with the global climate change crisis. Photo by Tricia de Courcy Ling
Find out more about George Marshall, his recent book, and the Climate Outreach and Information Network, of which he is the founder:
In the second half, we speak to Max Keogh, a Professional Geoscientst, more formally, a geologist. Max is a social entrepreneur and Professional Geoscience consultant. He has over 7 years of experience in the Canadian natural resource sector, including extensive experience working with First Nations communities in relation to natural resource mining and oil and gas projects at the permitting and review stage, most recently on the Trans Mountain Expansion Project.
Thank you for having me on the show Daryn. I had a chance to openly discuss some of my work and not feel threatened to publicly express my own opinions; this is an extremely important and essential component of living in a democracy! Keep up the great work!
Here are some links related to some of the issues we discussed on the show today:
Trans Mountain Pipeline ULC – Trans Mountain Expansion
Trans Mountain Pipeline ULC – Trans Mountain Expansion – Hearing Schedule
- See the timelines and schedule for this project review
Trans Mountain Expansion Project – Application
- Search the application for specific reports related to the Application here
Trans Mountain Expansion Project – Intervenors + Information Requests
- From here, select Intervenor folders to read what kind of questions, comments and concerns Intervenor groups have been asking throughout the process
- You will also be able to read the responses and language being used by Trans Mountain to avoid directly answering many questions
Oral Aboriginal Traditional Evidence
- Hearings were conducted to gather Traditional Indigenous Knowledge in November 2014 which brought to light a tremendous amount of very important cultural knowledge and history.
- I encourage reading through these documents and persuade someone out there to preserve and celebrate this information somehow; it would make for a great documentary or book.
Max is also in the process of launching a premium urban agriculture product on Indiegogo called the Ribox (Right Ingredients Box). It is a locally sourced and built premium raised planter box built for the modern urban environment.
You can check them out here: www.ribox.ca
Like them on Facebook here: www.facebook.com/riboxvancouver
And support their Indiegogo page here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ribox-balcony-grow-organic-food-live-healthier/
Finally, to wrap up the show Kevin, Stefan and Daryn discuss some recent statements by Justin Trudeau – Liberal Party leader that has environmentalists and progressives alike up in arms, including supporting the controversial Harper “Terrorism” Bill C-51.
Read a good report by Press Progress about some things in the report that should concern you here: 6 ways you may have already broken Harper’s new anti-terror law
Despite a surprising level of media attention to the potential draconian nature of this bill, 82% of Canadian seem to support the bill according to a recent poll: New poll finds Harper’s anti-terror bill is a political juggernaut
This weeks music: