It’s Canada Day! So naturally the team takes the opportunity to highlight just a few reasons why we might want to keep our patriotism at least a little in check. Canada ranks 2nd on the Social Progress Index but we fall down on environmental protections. Our top story is the monumental reversal of the federal government’s approval of the Northern Gateway pipeline for it’s failure to consult with first nations on the proposal.
- Canada ranks No. 2 on Social Progress Index measuring quality of life
- Northern Gateway pipeline approval overturned
In the middle of the show, we are joined by David Grey-Donald, a journalist and Green Majority correspondent, who provides us with a deeper dive into the ongoing fight against environmental racism going on in Grassy Narrows. Including the increasing pressure to protect the community from mercury and the more recent revelations of the possible burying of mercury filled barrels in the area as well.
- Grassy Narrows Feels Like Home to Them
- Pressure Mounts on Ontario Government to Remediate Grassy Narrows’ Waters
You can find more work from David Grey-Donald here.
In the final section, the hosts discuss various news items including the completion of our ongoing introspection of Canada’s last year and we cover a few international stories including the major crediting agency Moody’s calling for a rapid approval of the Paris climate deal.
- Moody’s calls for rapid Paris climate deal approval
- U.S., Mexico, Canada pledge 50 percent clean power by 2025
- Florida declares state of local emergency over influx of ‘God-awful’ toxic algae
- Wildfires engulfing the west coast are fueled by climate change, experts warn
- Millions exposed to dangerous lead levels in US drinking water, report finds
This weeks music:
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media, leave us a phone message to play on air or send us an email!