We start with a critique of conservative ideology and credibility on the issue of climate change and cap and trade. This starts closer to home in Canada, and then we move into the USA with a conversation about Obama’s final few acts on climate before we wait with baited breath for the results of the rock-and-a-hard-place US elections in November.
- Stephen Gordon: Conservatives are dismantling their credibility in economics by campaigning against carbon pricing
- Obama Broadens Use of ‘Climate Tests’ in Federal Project Reviews
- Coalition Of U.S. States Signed Pact To Keep Exxon Climate Probe Confidential
Follows is Rosemary Frei talking about her decision to retire and become a full time activist. Rosemary tells us about her experience walking Gaspe to protest fracking projects in Quebec. We also play a short clip from a previous interview with Toronto MPP Peter Tabuns about the scam that is fracking development in the first place. You can watch the full interview with Peter here.
Rosemary has provided some resources below and you can contact her here if you would like to reach out.
- MARCHE DES PEUPLES POUR LA TERRE MÈRE EN GASPÉSIE /
PEOPLES’ MARCH FOR MOTHER EARTH IN GASPESIE (English and French)
- Protégeons l’eau potable, prévenons l’irréparable… (French Only)
- Quebec’s Gaspe Mi’kmaq seek to halt N.B. oil terminal in federal court (English)
- Gaspé may be set, but Quebec’s cement deal is decidedly mixed (English)
Finally the team discusses some alarming news of Anthrax and secret military bases full of radiation and toxic waste being unearthed by melting permafrost. We finish the show with some discussion of the debacle that is the Rio Olympics.
- Anthrax sickens 13 in western Siberia, and a thawed-out reindeer corpse may be to blame
- Mysterious, ice-buried Cold War military base may be unearthed by climate change
- We Were Promised The Greenest Olympics Ever. We Got An Ecological Disaster.
- Here’s a list of all the issues surrounding the 2016 Rio Olympics
Shaya and Alex join Daryn and Rosemary to discuss the ethics of the idea of ‘sacrifice zones’ and the philosophy of change in the age of climate impacts.
News We Missed:
Can’t every get to everything! Check these out too…
- U of T chemists invent vitamin-driven battery
- NOAA: ‘Earth’s Fever Rises’ as Climate Records Shattered Worldwide
- Saskatchewan government “unlikely” to clean all of Husky oil spill
- Flint’s Water Still Isn’t Clean and Probably Never Will Be
- Huge wildfire forces evacuations near Big Sur coastline in California
- 2% of US Homes At Risk Of Loss Due To Sea Level Rise
This weeks music:
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media, leave us a phone message to play on air or send us an email!